Monday, May 20, 2013

Bird Study Part I

I wanted to share to you our Bird Study which we had last week.  We did this last year, but since my son is getting a bit older I added a few activities so he can understand birds a little bit deeper.
DSC_0135
We matched birds using our Bird Cards and the our bird collections coming from Safari Toobs (Exotic Birds, Down Under, Penguin and Farm) and Schleich. DSC_0138
All birds found in Safari Toob Exotic Birds have a matching card which also included the The Bird printable pack.  then I also added a few more bird cards so we can discuss the different kinds of birds.
birds2
I think he never outgrows matching! He still loves them even if he's been doing this activity for years!  
                  DSC_0157 DSC_0163
Seen below, we are discussing the different kinds of birds, their characteristics, unique features and how they differ from others.  I will try to come up with a free printable for this one after I summarize the data, as it is worth sharing :)  birds
Then of course, we discuss the different parts of the bird using our Bird Definition Booklet.  Then I had my son do our homemade bird puzzle and put labels on each part.
                    DSC_0203 DSC_0205
Next post is still on birds, we're doing worksheets, differentiate beaks and bird's feet.
Linking to:

3 comments:

  1. This is wonderful!! I am going to be working on birds this summer with my kids & will definitely be back to look through this more. Thanks so much for linking to Share It Saturday this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your bird study is fabulous, Jae! Thanks so much for linking up with Montessori Monday. I featured your bird posts at the Living Montessori Now Facebook page and on Sulia at http://sulia.com/livingmontessorinow/f/4526864b-771f-45da-aee1-478d8f77cbeb/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Post ! Could you tell teh name of the book you have used for the classification ( seen in the picture above) ? Thanks a lot

    ReplyDelete